What is Dermatitis?
- A term for several skin inflammations
- Contact dermatitis
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Seborrheic dermatitis (cradle cap in newborns)
How to Recognize Dermatitis?
- Dermatitis generally includes red, itchy, scaly and/or inflamed skin.
- Blisters may develop that can ooze if scratched.
- Contact dermatitis is found when an irritant has made contact with the skin (eg. detergent).
What Causes Dermatitis?
- Contact dermatitis tends to appear after exposure and/or an allergic reaction to skin irritants (eg. chemicals, shampoos, cosmetics, hair dye, deodorants, perfumes and lotions).
- Dermatitis can develop when someone first comes into contact with a particular chemical or after years of use, when the skin has become sensitized (ie: skin has become prone to irritation due to repeated exposure).
- Seborrheic dermatitis can be caused by physical stress.
- The exact cause of eczema is not known.
Prevention and Treatment For Dermatitis
- Soothe red, irritated skin by moisturizing with the Little Innoscents Nourishing Oil. All of the Little Innoscents product range is dermatitis friendly.
- Avoid contact with irritants such as heat and chemical-based skin care products.
- Bathe in lukewarm water and pat dry, rather than rubbing the skin.
- Try using a non-irritating body wash that is chemical and suds free as chemical foaming agents have a big part to play in causing skin irritations. Try using the Little Innoscents Hair & Body Wash for your babies next bath time.
- Wet compresses may help.
- Medical treatments prescribed by doctors for different forms of dermatitis can include corticosteroid creams, oral antihistamines and antibiotics but their effectiveness is debated.
- Switching to organic skincare alternatives specifically designed for dermatitis, like Little Innoscents, can bring relief for your child or baby, without any of the negative side effects related to medical treatments.
- Always consult your healthcare practitioner if symptoms persist or worsen, or if a rash, fever, oozing, or signs of infection become evident.
Check our bestsellers!
All Little Innoscents Products