Baby eczema is commonly seen in Malaysia. Baby eczema often shows up before the age of 5, adults and adolescents can also develop the condition. It is estimated that the prevalence of eczema is about 20% in Malaysia, with 90% of the sufferers developing the condition before the age of five.
What is Eczema?
- Eczema is an itchy skin rash.
- Eczema often occurs in more than one member of the family.
How to Recognize Eczema?
- Dry, red and itchy skin may appear inflamed or cracked, and in some cases the skin may weep.
- Often affected areas are found on the face and occasionally on the scalp and ears.
- Toddlers are prone to eczema on the knees, ankles and inside wrists.
- For older children and adults, eczema may appear in elbows and knees.
- Some people are affected over their entire body.
What Causes Eczema?
- The causes of eczema are still not known.
- Many people who have eczema also have an allergy.
- A person is more likely to have eczema if they have family members with eczema, asthma or hay fever.
- An outbreak of eczema can be triggered by heat, soap, detergents, medicated and perfumed products, bubble baths, fabric, allergies to food, dust mites, pollen and fur.
Prevention and Treatment for Eczema
- Keep skin well moisturized, preferably with organic skin care products to avoid unnecessary irritation.
- Avoid the main triggers, such as overheating and contact with chemical irritants.
- Reduce itching by using wet dressings or cool compresses. If scabs develop, remove by bathing in lukewarm water to soften the scabs, and then gently wiping the crusts off with a soft, wet towel.
- Babies with eczema should be kept away from people with cold sores, as they are susceptible to the cold sore virus.
- Prevention of an eczema outbreak is preferable to treating one. The key is to avoid chemical based products.
- Many eczema sufferers say that using organic skin care products in general reduces the frequency and the severity of their outbreaks.
- The complete Little Innoscents product range is one of the best cream for baby eczema, formulated specifically to prevent and treat eczema. Little Innoscents Intensive Soothing Cream is a mother’s favorite product to use on eczema outbreaks.